Anteroom of Death
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you Joker, King or Queen?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Lies Beneath

Go down 
+27
Twiekieman
NatCroix
Suomi_Rocks
Obscured
Almagest
VNoita
Manxita
WhiteNightFantasy178
DarkStar
ice-princess
Crysta
LuciferAmadxander
torispooky
whutnot
Evie
Daniela
Novaë
crucified_vampire
Eressa
VivekaPandora
icare4u
Tosca
Myla
Jimi B
Karina
Naiad
Helene
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

What Lies Beneath - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 am

Yaaaay, finally!!! bounce bounce
Tell us your opinion about it! Very Happy

And record yourself while you are listening, so we can see the real crazy Tosca! tongue The one I see on the cam... Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.tarjabrasil.com
Daniela
Avantasian
Daniela

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 am

Eressa wrote:
Daniela wrote:

ah, compared to let´s say Björn Strid or Burton C. Bell, Phil is a very inexpressive singer...

Could you post some examples of their voices?

Björn Strid (Soilwork):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPyFAjUqgPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJuKbFrxJRs

Burton C. Bell (Fear Factory):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1BTe_BstkY
Back to top Go down
http://www.thequeenofice.blog.cz
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:24 am

I took a video, Myla, but my dog kinda ruined it in the middle. Razz I think that project is quite dead, though... ¬¬
Now I shall go write a review! cheers I have some mixed feelings, but overall, wow, Tarja, you really got it! cat
Back to top Go down
LuciferAmadxander

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 9:38 pm

Well I wrote this review many days ago and I'd love to share it with you. It's a bit long and in Vietnamese style , I'm sorry.. so just read, and if you're too bored, just skip it Very Happy

So, the long wait for What Lies Benath is now over. The album has been released on the 1st and 2nd of September and amazingly, was not leaked on the internet before its release day! Good job, Tarja. After downloading (sorry I can't buy it cause it's not sold in Vietnam haha) and listening to most of her songs, I decided to write a full review. For I have never written such kind of thing before, the review promises to have a lot of mistakes (including grammar and logic mistakes ^^). Therefore, I'm just be overdelighted if anyone of you (readers) point out those mistakes for me. If you can show me how to correct them, then I'll be overoverdelighted, LOL

What Lies Beneath is Tarja's third studio album. After releasing the second album called My Winter Storm, she decided to work on a brand new masterpiece which would be obviously darker and more mature. Did she succeed? Let's see. In comparision with My Winter Storm, WLB has some new materials and elements to surprise. This time, she has made most of the songs sound more powerful and catchy since the very first seconds. Every track has a unique taste and meaning, bringing different emotions to the listeners. What lacks from WLB is the massive orchestral arrangement and choirs which have definitely appeared MWS. This, in fact, turns the album a little more rocky than a usual symphonic metal one. (Of course I'm not talking about her ballads cause Naiad, one of the ballads is full of strings and choirs)

To introduce her underworld, Tarja begins the album with an atmostpheric song - Anteroom of death. "It's a freak song" - said Tarja in her blog. She seemed to be very happy after recording the song, so it must be her favorite. That explains why she wants to use it as the first track on the run. Listening to the song, we hear Tarja's voice flowing mysteriously upon a circus-like music background. Both the strings and the keyboard are nothing but simple and repetitive. "What could be the hidden thing lying behind such simplicity?" some might wonder. Then,keep listening to it is the only way to find out the proper answer. After the first ordinary verse is played, a sudden, very strong thundering of bass riffs arises, striking your ears heavily. The tempo switches to be faster, denser and heavier. Now, the bass riffs seem to overdominate Tarja's voice, turning the song upside down, making it weird in fact. Lots of non-Tarja holics would stop listening to the song when encountering this chorus part, I bet. They would question immediately "What the heck is this thing? It’s so harsh". Obviously, The surprise Tarja brings to the song does not make it more fascinating but more challenging to the listeners. The challenge is if they dare to listen to the rest of the song or just skip it to the next ones. For me, I stuck to the first option. After the second verse, Tarja voice soars higher in a darker tone. The strings also become more dominant. Then, when everything seems to turn flat again, an infectious medieval choir invades the song. Needless to say, this must be the surprise Tarja intends to show! Van Canto comes and paint a notable color to the song. The choirs successfully bring haunts to the song's background! In fact, this is so far the best part of the whole song. With the help of medieval choirs, Anteroom of death turns flexible, atmospheric and interesting. Besides the musical part, the lyrical part plays a vital role in making the song special. These changes can be considered to be "new" elements in her album. Rating 3.5/5

Now, let's press the next button and come to the next song.The second song on the tracklist is Until My Last Breath. On a powerful music background supported by keyboards, we hear Tarja's voice soaring clearly over the rythm. The bass and guitar riffs are very catchy in very first seconds of the song. However, with a trivial structure like any other songs, UMLB failed to leave any highlights in listeners' head. All in all, the song is but lack of vital elements such as orchestral arrangement. Moreover, its meanning is nothing more than a repetition with that of her songs in My Winter Storm. So, in short, Until My Last Breath is but an average song with a predictable structure. Rating 2/5

The third song on the album is I feel Immortal, also the first ballad on the abum. With flat melodies and nothing-is-special lyrics, I feel Immortal seems to disappoint lots of the followers. Yet, the emotions the song bears are valuable. Flat but emotional, it succeeds to make some senses in people's mind this time. The video clip shot in Iceland is among the most beautiful and meaningful ones Tarja has ever made in her music career. In short, though being flat, I feel Immortal is not a bad taste to enjoy some time. Rating 2.5/5

For the fourth song, Tarja continues to trigger people's curiosity by putting in In for a kill. What is "In for a kill", some might have a question? Then, we should find the answer in her blog: In for a kill is a song written basing on James Bond's movies. What are James Bond movies? Maybe you should check them yourselves cause I have never seen those movies before. Anyway, back to the topic we're discussing about. Obviously, In for a kill thrills listeners' ears from its very first sounds. The orchestral arrangements shine upon the opening of the song, making it a promising epic. Then the riffs come, powerful and solid as they could be. Then comes Tarja's supreme operatic voice. She sings wickedly in very unmelodic low notes. After that, the verse changes, dynamic and growing, it rises higher and higher, and so does Tarja's voice. For sure, by hitting the super high notes with a full voice, she has proven that her vocal range is impossible to underestimate. In general, In for a kill is surely one of the most enjoyable songs in the album. However, it still has some flaws. If Tarja adds more orchestral elements into the song and brings these elements more to the foreground of the musical part instead of letting them drown under the bass riffs, It will definitely the most interesting song she's ever made. Rating 3.25/5

The fifth song on the album is called Underneath. Lyrically, it sends listeners a message saying that people have their other sides which are not fully shown to the world. Musically, it is definitely another ballad with tender piano notes and sweet soft vocal crooning over. The song’s structure is very ordinary, just like Until My Last Breath. That explains why some people tend to dislike this song. However, though Underneath has not developed a better structure, it has lights to shine. So, what are these lights? Absolutely, they are the emotions revealing through every verse the singer sings. This is, always the best method Tarja utilizes to veil all the faults on the surface of any songs. Putting aside the normal structure and words, Underneath remains an emotional beauty that listeners cannot miss. Also, Tarja’s English pronunciation on this track is probably clear. I bet that you can recognize most of the words in the song when you listen to it. So, as far as I can say, it’s a great pity for those who refused to enjoy this song from the beginning because they were not patient enough to discover the beauty lying Underneath. Rating 3/5

Bored of listening to the previous ballad? Then, be bored no more as we are coming to another rocky song. Little Lies , like what we can predict from its name, is but harsh and merciless. The riffs rise from the very beginning, dominating nearly the whole song. Extraordinarily, a theatrical choir invades at the end of the song making it as weird as it could be. Certainly, this choir is added unsuitably, only driving the emotions into a wrong dimension. In short, Little Lies is nothing else but a powerful song, yet lack of unity. Rating 2.5/5

Well, the seventh song on the tracklist is another ballad. Rivers of lust discusses about a mighty man who turns out to be a disgusted child abuser. With simply melodies and haunting lyrics, the song successfully draws a full haunting picture in listeners’ mind. The choirs appear at the beginning, rising higher at end of the song, forming a great parallel structure and reinforce the emotions flow. All in all, Rivers of lust is a great remarkable song. It is definitely a good one for your imagination. Still, the so-simple and repetitive musical background makes the song sound a little bit plastic. Rating 3.25/5
The next song on the list is Dark Star featuring a male singer named Phil Labonte who brings in different colors and feelings. Begins with a Middle Eastern choir, Dark Star turns thrash, solid and dark with the help of bass riffs and drums. The chorus, backed with Phil’s grunts, is obviously melodic. For sure, the appearance of the new guess singer works the song out a lot, making it outstanding. However, the structure of Dark Star is nothing out the ordinary, ceasing its impressiveness after times of relistening. Rating 3/5

Falling Awake is Tarja’s first single and was released into 3 different versions featuring different artists. On the album, the song features Joe Satriani, a multi-awarded guitarist. Medium-paced and rocky solid, Falling Awake drives listeners into a coherent flow of emotions. As a highlight in the song, Joe’s guitar solo works really well, outshining perfectly the normal lyrical part of the song, grabbing more than 60 percent of listeners’ attentions. In conclusion, Falling Awake is a decent song which can be played times and times again on MTV or radios. Rating 3/5

The tenth song is The Archive of lost dreams, which is also the last ballad on the album. Unlike Rivers of Lust, painful and desperate, The Archive of lost dreams is full of hopes and mercies. The song begins with a vocal-only verse, which sounds very similar to Dead Boy’s Poem – an old Nightwish song. Only after two full verses have been played, the chorus part starts with a choir, shining out nearly all the rest of the song. A very peaceful piano solo bridge arises enforcing the emotion flow. So, in a general view point, The Archive of Lost dreams is a brilliant ballad with exceptional lyrics and emotions – an audible song to listen to when despair. Rating 3.5/5

Phew, finally, we’ve come to the final song of the album. Crimson Deep is, from the beginning, promised to be an epic. So, Let’s see if we can call it “epic” or not. With the help of another Grammy-awarded guess – WillCalhoun, Crimson Deep stirs the atmosphere almost one and a half minute before Tarja’s voice invades in. Lasting nearly eight minutes with massive choirs, guitar riffs and drums, it deserves to be the ending for a great masterpiece. However, despite being a grower, this ending in fact still lacks orchestral arrangements, or in another word, is not epic enough to spot a highlight in listeners’ mind. In general, Crimson Deep is a beautiful song but is a bit immature to be considered “epic”. Rating 3.25/5

In conclusion, What Lies Beneath is a great album to listen to. Surprising, Dark and Emotional are all we can say about it. However, it’s still too early to call this album revolutionary or groundbreaking due to the lack of new song structures, lyrics and, most importantly, orchestral arrangement which plays a very indispensable part in creating a correct atmosphere to any symphonic metal album. Obviously, What Lies Beneath takes a leap higher than My Winter Storm but is not going on another track or dimension, so it’s still very experimental. Hopefully, on the fourth album, Tarja would consider about filling her songs with not only more powerful sounds but also more symphonic elements.

TOTAL RATING: 3.5/5
Back to top Go down
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 10:07 am

@Tosca So upload the video! Very Happy I looove your dog! *-*

Wow, WLB is already sold out in a Brazilian's store!!! Shocked
They started selling on Monday!
Back to top Go down
Crysta

Crysta

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 11:21 am

Wow! Thank you very much for the review, LuciferAmadxander. I enjoyed reading it very much, and agree with most of what was said (I do believe Little Lies deserve a slightly higher grade, but that's just me Smile ).

And meh, I feel your pain about being unable to get the album in your country. It is nowhere to be found over here as well. Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/marina.kozlov?v=app_2309869772#!/marina.
icare4u

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Novaë wrote:
I think Phill has a awesome voice!
Perfect combination with Tarja, Dark Star is one of my favorites. cheers

Dark Star would be one of my favorites..if it wouldn't be for the voice of Phil... Sad
Back to top Go down
Karina

Karina

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 12:52 am

What lies beneath making of video, almost 1 hour!!!
http://music.aol.com/video/what-lies-beneath-making-of/tarja-turunen

I just love how Tarja is hopping and jumping in the background when the different musicians record their stuff.
You can almost feel her excitement that her visions become alive.
Like a child on the fairground. bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ice-princess

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 1:45 am

Wow!
Yesterday, finally, I became my albumXD
Its sooooo beautiful!!
I love it
My favourit songs are Anteroom of death, underneath, little lies, naiad and RIVERS OF LUST!! Wow, when I heard ROL I cried ;-)
The album is so wonderful!!
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 3:55 am

yeahhh I love the making of video!!! it's so funny xD
I also love seeing Tarja dancing Laughing
bounce I love you

@ice-princess: I'm happy for you that you have the album now!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
WhiteNightFantasy178

WhiteNightFantasy178

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 11:12 am

Neutral mnaaa... I have to wait for WLB ... here in colombia it will released at the end of september
but I already listened to most of the songs and I specially liked Naiad, Anteroom of death, Rivers of lust, Archive of lost dreams, Crimson deep, in for a kill, falling awake, still of the night... Shocked haha, I´m just realizing that I was about to write all songs from WLB I know Smile

Nyaa Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green I just love WLB, and I saw the making of already yesterday, she was so cute, my gosh!
I LOVE HER <3 albino
Back to top Go down
Crysta

Crysta

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Karina wrote:

I just love how Tarja is hopping and jumping in the background when the different musicians record their stuff.

Awwwwwh noooo Sad It was taken down, it seems. *sniff*
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/marina.kozlov?v=app_2309869772#!/marina.
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:55 am

Baah. I have been listening to WLB rather obsessively now, and I decided to put down my thoughts too, so nothing objective here, just the result of several days listening to a certain album on repeat. Wink

Anteroom of Death: An interesting beginning for starters. The imitation of an orchestra tuning up ready for a show is a nice touch. And then the harpsichord. I LOVE the harpsichord. And later on, the quirky strings! At first I was a little disappointed – I think I was expecting something really crazy and wild, á la Diablo Swing Orchestra even, and the vocals early on in the verses seemed a bit mundane to me. The chorus is pretty jiggy, and Van Canto’s input is fun, but the craziness seems restrained. But then it occurred to me that, wait a second – this is Tarja. Comparing her to an avante garde or experimental metal band is like comparing a tooth brush to a hair comb. Razz So really, I am delighted that she is bringing in elements like this whilst still managing to create an accessible song that is – as I have discovered – wickedly addictive. I also love the way the song heats up at the end. I expected it to grab me and shake me senseless, but in fact it was a sneaky grower. I hope she continues in this direction in future!

Until My Last Breath: I heard this one when it was leaked and didn’t like it that much at first listen, but I’ve warmed up to it a lot since then. At first I was like ‘whoa, it sounds poppy!’, but now I really love the combination of poppy hooks with the heavy riffs... and I am not sure if that has anything to do with the bass-heavy headphones I got for my birthday, but they do sound AMAZING. As I said before somewhere earlier, I love the musical symbolism that seems to go on here (at least, I interpret it that way... ¬¬) especially in the break. Definitely an addictive song, and a very appropriate single.

I Feel Immortal: I became very attached to the single version of this song, despite being annoyed that it was pushed on Tarja and thinking it sounded closer to ‘Tired of Being Alone’ than having anything in common with the other songs on her album. But this version... augh!!! I really didn’t like it! I have no idea why but my head says “Noo, it is wrong!” when it hears the piano melody. Maybe I grew too used to the single version. x) As for the song itself though, Tarja’s vocals are beautiful throughout, and breaking through in the final chorus they are just gorgeous; her voice really does put me in mind of waves sweeping up the shore.

In For A Kill: Wow, what an awesome intro. I can hear the rumbling inside my skull! A tangible sense of threat is created with those strings. And then the guitars! Man, they really do crash in. The riff seems pretty different to the live version – it feels sometimes like it almost overpowers other elements of the song, but it is such a groovy riff I can forgive it. I was very, very expectant of this song, having loved it so much live, and it does not disappoint. The only thing that makes me a little sad is that Tarja seems to sing with less energy, almost making the song seem slower. But we all know her live performances are unsurpassable, so I was ready for this. The instrumental section is awesome; Tarja once again is showing off her knack for atmospheric music, even within a fast-paced song like this. Really, the director of the 007 movies ought to give this some serious thought!

Underneath: I read the lyrics in the booklet before listening to the CD, and found these ones very sweet. I almost had an allergic reaction when listening to the song though – it reminded me a heck of a lot of Evanescence on the first play through. x) I am still trying to listen to it with a clear mind, and with more attention it seems to get more enjoyable, and even proves quite hard not to sing along to. Razz Riffing towards the end brings a nice sense of ‘hardening’ as the lyrics imply, and we have a nice solo in here, but overall this was my least favourite song apart from IFI, and I would have put it on the bonus disc – especially because it has a sense of finality for me, sounding like it should be towards the end of an album, bringing it to a close, than near the beginning. I love the passion behind the chorus though, and the message alone makes me smile a little.

Little Lies: The beginning reminds me of ‘Jaws’. Razz The aggressive riffing makes for a great sound. The actual melody takes a few listens before it becomes memorable. The chorus improves that though, becoming pretty catchy, and I enjoy the whispering and sound effects in the break. The choir and Mike’s drumming really stands out for me on this part too. I know Tarja described it as the heaviest song on the album, but for me it is... jiggy! And also, I can imagine this one sounding awesome live.

Rivers of Lust: This... this is perfect. This type of song is where Tarja really soars. Everything about it shines. The composition, lyrics, Tarja’s voice... everything about this song breaks my heart. The “aah aaah aaah” is sung in a way that sounds exactly like a despondent sigh. And the clearer vocalizing over the top of it reminds me strongly of a child’s nursery rhyme... The fading piano, almost too quiet to be heard – the rising militancy of the drums that eventually explode in an almost defiant way... the imagery is so sad. And her voice shines in this song more than any other on the album, for me. I was in tears. x)

Dark Star: Well before the guitars hit this sounds almost dance-y! I love the chanting a lot. I love the blunt lyrics and the way she snarls ‘daaarrrrk star’. Again I was not instantly grabbed by the melody, but Phil’s vocals make a pretty interesting variation, and they work well together. Overall, a groovy sound, not as heavy as I expected, but a catchy chorus that will surely make for another crowd pleaser in live shows.

Falling Awake: I already commented about this somewhere I think. It is the second song that I think it polished as well as it can be – everything is in place, just right, working together perfectly. It contains my favourite riff on the album, the ‘nanana’ is just ridiculously uplifting, and the lyrics are heartfelt and uncommonly joyous for a rock/metal song. I prefer the solo by Jason Hook, not taking away from the undoubted technical perfection of Satriani’s version, but it’s just... skippier. Yeah, this song is skippy. And bouncy. And jiggy. It’s like a concentrated shot of giddy happiness and I do not want to listen to it in public ever for fear of making an utter fool of myself when I start doing the aforementioned things.

The Archive of Lost Dreams: Tarja’s a capella vocals opening the song instantly capture attention; even un-sustained by instruments she sounds amazing. The synths rumble incredibly in my head (again I don’t know if I have headphones to thank) and the whole build up to this song is just so atmospheric. As soon as the “aaah” vocal part begins I break into shivers and feel a wave of emotion; ballads truly are Tarja’s greatest strength. The piano solo does nothing bad to the song in my eyes – I am not a pianist however and can only comment on what appeals to me instinctively. The crescendo is one of the most beautiful moments of the album. A lovely sense of conclusion about this song, so, well placed in the album. I also love how she is singing to Naiad; her voice contains so much sympathy.

Crimson Deep: From the kick off, this song is amazing. The bass, oh God! Is it the freaking headphones or does it really sound that delicious?! And then the drums and guitars! The choirs! Bauuhhh! The most powerful opening in Tarja’s discography yet. Her vocals change yet again in this song, starting low and voluptuous in the verse – and then the chorus! The choooorus! Her voice soars! And I looove the bass line! The instrumental section is also gorgeous... the sudden entrance of the drums and guitars, the building climax, the divine vocalizing at the end, and.... bah, just the power behind this whole thing. The crashing crescendo of drums, disappearing into a single, sustained piano note... what a perfect way to close an album. Seriously. I never would have expected a song like this from her, never. I would like to be able to hear the interaction of the double drums more, but then again that would just be for the novelty – any more instrumentation would probably spoil the balance, and the balance is perfect. Tarja, you have encapsulated all sorts of awesome with this song, and I didn’t know you had it in you.

We Are: This song frustrates me so much. I just cannot fathom why it is on a bonus disc. I simply adore it. From the sultry vocals at the beginning, to the sexy bass dominant through the chorus, and the twanging texture of the cello... goddamn. Doug’s solo is... blughmughdugh. Tarja’s vocals are like a swooping freaking eagle vulture thing here! The whole thing just sounds so... original! To me this is SO much more progressive and experimental and unlike Tarja’s expected style than Anteroom of Death. This one joins the list of songs that I feel is absolutely perfect. And only the people who buy the deluxe will hear it, that’s just... augh. I WANT EVERYONE TO HEAR IT DAMMIT.

Naiad: Again, I would really have wanted to see this on the standard edition, especially since it seems pretty central to the concept of the album. I love the singing synths at the beginning! Tarja’s voice is dreamy. I love the way she is combining moods within a single song as well as styles. I mean, the vibe here is simultaneously mysterious/chilled and... well, groovy! The spiccato strings are so freaking adorable. Oh, and the breathing is not so bad this time. Wink

Still of the Night: Well, I can say that I was very sad that this would be the last song I was going to hear, because after seeing the things said about it before, I was dreading hearing it. I steeled myself as it began. OH MY GOD. I think my jaw hit the keyboard. The riffing alone makes the song worthwhile for me – the guitars’ closed, pinched riffs (terminology fail...) give it such a hip, upbeat, swinging mood. And her voice! What are you guys talking about, it sounds so freaking sexy! *__* True, I really do wanna hear the powerful voice she used for this in Miskolc on some song in the future; I think there is a lot of untapped potential there, but this... this really works. The contrast of the choirs and guitars and Tarja’s rising voice in the orchestral break is absolutely luxuriant. And then... Pow! MOAR GUITARS! And the piano in the background! And then her voice entering again, growing and rising... bah, how can you guys not enjoy this song. IT IS SO FUN!!!! And I think this is probably how it was meant to be. Wink

So, altogether, Tarja has pulled from her hat a diverse and really pretty demanding album, reaching into all sorts of styles – classic rock, movie soundtracks, Baroque, etc – and yet still ending up with a more solid and consistent feel than its predecessor. I loved My Winter Storm a lot, but I am not sure that had a whole lot to do with its musical merits, even though there were some beautiful songs on there. But there were moments listening to What Lies Beneath when I was incoherent with glee and my ears were pretty much dancing. I am hearing things I never expected from Tarja, and something that is so, so much more tangible on WLB than on MWS is confidence. OK, I kinda want to smack her for putting the most unconventional songs on the album (for me) on a bonus disc, but regardless... Finally, she has taken the reins for herself and it is showing.

The most exciting thing is that with this album, I can really hear Tarja’s style coming together. In a way, I think people find What Lies Beneath easier to criticize than My Winter Storm, because the latter was a little directionless, and this is so much closer to what I think Tarja is reaching for – a unique, signature style that really reflects her; modern, fun, beautiful, edgy, quirky, a little crazy... and it’s so, so exciting to hear that all beginning to take shape! I was not expecting a perfect album, but neither was I expecting to see Tarja finding her own, individual path like this. But she has. And I cannot wait to see what happens as she travels even further up it.
Back to top Go down
Manxita

Manxita

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:16 am

Tosca, I completely agree with you on "We are"...I LOVE this song! It's very original, and it sounds nothing like what Tarja has done before...it would have been a great addition to the album! Well, at least we have the chance to listen to this song, unlike many others that we will never get to hear (sigh).
Back to top Go down
VNoita

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 am

I agree that both Naiad and We are could have been simply on the album. If I would be her I'd put I Feel Immortal and Still of the Night as bonus tracks. But I'm not her. Razz

Underneath reminds you of Evenescence? I didn't have that impression at all. But I don't really listen to Evanescence, so..
Then again it reminded me a bit of Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You. Not exactly the song itself, but something in it... The chorus, and the way it turns more and more powerful.
I love Underneath, it's a beautiful song in my opinion.

PS: No, I'm not going to always reply on both forums. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://winterstormhungary.webs.com/
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:06 am

Bahahah, I just came here and was like, "Whuuuh?" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Manxita

Manxita

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:09 am

Crysta wrote:
Karina wrote:

Awwwwwh noooo Sad It was taken down, it seems. *sniff*

You can still find it here, I believe:

http://music.aol.com/video/what-lies-beneath-making-of/tarja-turunen/bc:605825755001
Back to top Go down
Eressa

Eressa

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:11 am

That woman is just adorable, no one should be allowed to be THIS adorable. *melts*.

I just love the part in the making of video where she jumps up and down dancing while listening to the results of the recording. I go... oh, there is no smiley here that could express my level of mushiness =^_^=
Back to top Go down
Almagest
Protector of Tarja's Craziest Fangirls
Almagest

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:22 am

Tosca wrote:
Until My Last Breath: [...] As I said before somewhere earlier, I love the musical symbolism that seems to go on here (at least, I interpret it that way... ¬¬) especially in the break.
Can you remind me what that was?

Tosca wrote:
OK, I kinda want to smack her for putting the most unconventional songs on the album (for me) on a bonus disc,
I believe if you smack her label bosses you'll hit someone who deserves it more. Razz

Excellent review. I'll post my own later ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/florianblaschke
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 am

Almagest wrote:
Tosca wrote:
Until My Last Breath: [...] As I said before somewhere earlier, I love the musical symbolism that seems to go on here (at least, I interpret it that way... ¬¬) especially in the break.
Can you remind me what that was?

Tosca wrote:
OK, I kinda want to smack her for putting the most unconventional songs on the album (for me) on a bonus disc,
I believe if you smack her label bosses you'll hit someone who deserves it more. Razz

Excellent review. I'll post my own later ...

It was here. Smile
Possibly... but I bet they don't look as adorably scandalized when you thwack them. cat
Thankies, and I look forwards to reading yours. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Did anybody here buy Tarja's bundle from The Omega Order?

I received an email today and they will ship the bundles this week, but without the poster! ¬¬'

Greetings from The End, and thanks for ordering the exclusive bundle for the new Tarja album! We will begin shipping the CDs, 7"s, and shirts out this week, but will be shipping out the autographed poster later due to production delays. Please let us know if you have any questions and keep an eye on your email for future updates.
Back to top Go down
Obscured

Obscured

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:07 pm

im planing on buying it....and don't worry...that poster thing is for everyone who bought it...but hey late poster better than no poster! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:10 pm

^Of course it is! Laughing

But this is so boring, I bought the bundle many weeks ago and it'll come without the poster! Evil or Very Mad

But okay, at least it will come! Mr. Green
Back to top Go down
Eressa

Eressa

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 12:29 pm

this makes me SO sad http://www.formspring.me/bubblegoth/q/1101844440

This girl, Kerli, it seems is the original IFI composer.

Q: I wanna hear you sing "I Feel Immortal" =o Do you think you could sing a little of your version or Tarja's version just for fun on your next chat? Like maybe just sing the hook or something =P

A: I can. But we wanna sell this song for someone else in america as well so I can't leak the whole thing. Once someone cuts it, I'll leak the demo.

-------

Talking of artistic integrity... ¬_¬
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Lies Beneath   What Lies Beneath - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Lies Beneath
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next