Anteroom of Death
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you Joker, King or Queen?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)

Go down 
+15
whutnot
Karina
Daniela
Obscured
icare4u
Manxita
Almagest
Naiad
VivekaPandora
torispooky
Novaë
Myla
Evie
Tosca
Eressa
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Eressa

Eressa

Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) Empty
PostSubject: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Let's inaugurate this baby with the interview for "Cual Es" Argentinian radio Station.

---------------------------

Interviewer: We are with the... (question about headphones) we wanna say that the door is full... FULL with fans. There's been a while since there's been so many fans at the doors.

Tarja: Are you serious? Really? (laughs)

I: We'd never lie to a woman.

Translator: Not even when Dave Mustaine came.

Interviewer: Megadeth came two months ago and there wasn't such quantity of people at the doors.

Tarja: That makes me happy!

Interviewer: ok let's go on. Could you present yourself exactly as your parents call you? how do you pronounce it?

Tarja: Tarja- Soile- Sussana- Turunen- Cabuli... No! that "Cabuli no! It wasn't there! Tarja Solie Sussana Turunen.

Interviewer: What a name! Daring at the least!

Tarja: Yes it's a long name

Interviewer: you'll hear her castilian is quite clear but we'll take advantage of both your good English (hers and translators) in many parts in the questions you don't understand.

Tarja: Or the things I can't explain, there are many of them.

Interviewer: My first question's got to do with something I've asking myself when I listened to you with your band or in your solo career, which is still with a band. I find it hard with your vocal formation that you have... it's hard for me, with the way you sing, if to define you as a real rock artist. Because it seems to me that may it be with an orchestra, a band, with huge distortions or with the most evil of human beings, you are lyrical always.

Tarja: yes, always.

I: So, how must I catalog you musically?

Tarja: No... no, I think that's impossible. I'm a singer and I love making classical music. I still make many classical concerts but I also make rock, I make metal and that's something different for me, but I've been doing this for many years, so, it's the only way that I can sing (part in English, translator translates).

I: Coming from the country you come from where metal tradition is different, it has a different tint where the heavy and death metal used there is so special... you think that the culture at school allow you (the Finns) to blend metal and death metal with culture?

(Tarja asks for translation. English answer. she says that metal is broadcasted all day on the radio and not only at nights. Also speaks of darkness and 6 months without light and that's why she is here - in Argentina-)

Translator explains that Metal is very popular, metal artists are in No 1 on sales ad earn Grammy like awards and it's almost the only place in the world where this happens.

Translator stutters something about how Metal is stereotypical about its looks and that one needs to "look metal" to feel you sing metal, but he points out that she isn't like that, not even on her videos.

Tarja: I. Don't. I don't. I am a woman who has a particular voice. I have to practice a lot because of my voice and take care of my figure.

I: Because of an artistic side or because of the way you sing?

Tarja: Both

I: Would it be a problem for your singing if you were obese?

Tarja: Yes, a lot. I practice every day and I do sports and exercises (English explanation about she not looking how people think she should look ad that she looks like she wants to look , and she loves to design her own clothes)

I: when you left the band, how do you think people felt?

Tarja: Bad...

I: Bad huh?

Tarja: Bad, like me, very bad.

I: Did you think it was going to be like this?

Tarja: Yes, but... because...

I: I am not asking the 'why', just what you felt.

Tarja: Yes... bad. It hurt me a lot. (not sure of this)

I: It's very odd for one to understand what happens inside a family, a band, a couple...

Tarja: But it wasn't a family, be aware (laughs)

I: But well, it is like a family.

Tarja: Yes, people think it was like that.

I: And it wasn't like that?

Tarja: No, it was never like that.

I: And with lyrical music there are these kinds of heated up relationships?

Tarja: No... no.

I: It seems more (I don't understand)

Tarja: But there are not those kinds of close relationships but I have to say that now I'm way more happy with my art, working with people who respect me and I love to work with and that never happened to me (before) For love... it's incredible. It's like a dream and now I feel that I'm free. I'm not going to... I don't want to lose this feeling I have. (she sounded so moved in this part)

I: How do you think that taking all the decisions sets you free, because I guess that taking all the decisions also ties you down. In the musical part I can understand it but what other decisions have you been able to make?

Tarja: I live here. I live here in Argentina, Buenos Aires as my city and that gives me a lot of freedom. It's the truth, it's the truth! I can make my life, which I could not do in Finland for many years. Everybody knows me, almost everybody knows me. It's different being here. I can compose my songs!

I: It's weird because everybody dreams with being a rock star! (ramble about kids dreaming with it and singing naked in the bathroom) and you must have sung those songs from a lot of bands... and you made it!!

Tarja: Come on! It's nice! It's a freedom being creative, it's nice, but I'm a star on stage, not outside.

I: Not in life.

Translator: (translates "on stage" to Spanish)

I: (To tarja) You are wrong because you are not allowing him to translate for you ("awww" sound) You can work as a journalist if you want to make her a question (to translator).

Translator: What I find hard to understand, is talking about Argentinians' passion and the frialty of Scandinavians is that you can't go out to the street in Finland but you can do it here!

I: Of course, when there are so many people outside waiting for you.

Tarja: No, please, it's very different my life here. People in Finland don't come close to me, they just take photos and they are talking to themselves "oh there she is", and yeah here people get nuts and it happens and it's gone, the situation.

(Translator explains how here after a picture, the thing is over and in Finland the situations never gets resolved).

I: How do you manage your agenda? How much time do you have for the lyrical part and classical concerts and what is your priority (he asks about the different between classical and rock gigs)

Tarja: I have to plan my schedule ahead. I have to think what I'll do by next year. I have concerts for almost the end of the next year but those are rock concerts with my band and this new album, but I have classical concerts on December in Finland, and I'm going to sing in churches... *weird scratching sound* Yes!!

I: what? In a church?

Tarja: Yes! I'm not going to burn when I get in!

I: And you'll get dressed up all churchy like?

Tarja: I don't think I'll get burned at the door!

*Weird noises*

I: With all her evil Finnish friends.

Tarja: Yes, I'm strange!

I: Finnish people have been able to spread their culture to Hollywood and music, weird, no? That with this art they're invading the world

Tarja: Yes it's amazing but Finnish culture is very hermetic so people who compose music have their way to speak, like, men in Finland don't speak! They don't speak!

I: Your father is like that?

Tarja: Yes, he is!

I: Are your parents still alive?

Tarja: My father.

I: Your father. Not your mother. And are you in contact with him?

Tarja: Yes, yes. I have two brothers...

I: Skype?

Tarja: Yes! It's amazing he is using Skype! He is almost 70 and he is using Skype!

I: you are his only female child?

Tarja: Yes, the only woman.

I: How is a Finnish father with his only daughter? Is he overprotective?

Tarja: Uyy... I've lived alone for almost 15 years already *moving music*

I: I don't know what to tell you...

Tarja: No, I've lived alone for almost 15 years. It's a different culture.

I: You (Finns) are so cold!

Tarja: Yeah but-- No! It was because of my studies! I didn't have any possibilities in my 500 habitants town.

I: What's the name of the place where you lived?

Tarja: Savonlinna

I: what?

I: Savonlinna. Did I pronounce it alright?

Tarja: Yes. you got it alright.

I: Did you have a middle class education? Do you come from a working family?

Tarja: A working family, yes.

I: Is there any special characteristic in your town? Are they fisher men? Marble workers? Miners? Farmers?

Tarja: Farmers, but my father is a carpenter. My mother was a secretary in the city.

I: How did you start your lyrical studies?

Tarja: Uy, when I was six years old...

I: Because of your parents or because of you?

Tarja: Because of me. I started with the piano, studying classical music. It was the only thing I could do [well], and it's the same thing nowadays.

I: You finished composing a record that comes out this Monday and you told me that you are already demanding from yourself to start working on your next album already that very same Monday. How can you find the variation or hue between albums?

Translator: Good questions, huh?

Tarja: Yes, good question. I have to think a bit... this album took me two years to do, to compose, to produce, to work in this album, and it will take me again more or less two years for the next album, because I am doing a lot of touring.

I: One of our mates who works here is also a musician and wants to ask you a question.

Tarja: Hi!

I: Don't smile to him, I know what I'm telling you, even if your husband is here.

work mate: Your husband is very nice, know it.

Tarja: (Laughs)

Work mate: with the theme of starting to work on a new album and take it as a work cycle, what kind of role does inspiration play? Can it be forced? Or only using professionalism?

Tarja: (She talks about the title "what lies beneath" and how it inspired her -in English)

I: Do you write literature?

Tarja: Yes, not alone. My husband, for example, is very talented.

I: Does he have anything to do with the lyrics? Is he a person who inspires you?

Tarja: Yes.

I: Life is crazy, huh? Someone is born in Finland and she meets an Argentinian! You must have talked this over once and again.

Tarja: Ay God, yes! *romantic song starts*

I: and you are at a point of a sacrifice, you had to come here, see if it works or not, and you realize that all of what you thought you were going to be when you were a child didn't turn out that way! You were going to be a classical piano player... a singer with classical education and you ended up working with these guys who seem that they could eat (I don't understand word). And you are closer to being a vampire, living in Buenos Aires because of love! You never thought your life was going to turn out this way!

Tarja: Yes it's amazing. my life has been crazy these past 15 years... pppfft! Things have happened to me that I didn't expect and I can't explain, it's madness! But everything is alright! I wouldn't change anything. Really!

I: Is it a good moment?

Tarja: It is a very good moment!

I: Is it a good album, your new release?

Tarja: The best.

I: I'll be honest. I find it hard... this musical jump that I am listening. when one is used to listen to one album with a style...

Tarja: That's not my style.

I: I call it 'style' just because of it, I mean uniformity. You album doesn't have a certain uniformity. A listener must have a compromise to listen to your albums.

Tarja: Yes, but this freedom I have today... I don't have to compose only heavy metal or rock or classical tracks. My mind is free! My soul is free! I'm an artist! I'm enjoying my life! I'm enjoying my music! I hadn't been able to compose music before, now I do. It's great!

Workmate: By the way you speak about how free you feel in your mind and soul, it sounds like if you had escaped from a concentration camp! Was it really so oppressive and suffocating to be there? (Nw)

Tarja: It's like a world of difference. Truth is that I feel there is a whole different world in how I feel today.

Back to top Go down
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 3:03 pm

That's an adorable interview, much chattier than usual. Smile Thank you for translating, especially the sound effects. Razz
Back to top Go down
Evie

Evie

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Thank you, Eressa What a Face rendeer
Back to top Go down
http://www.winterstormslovakia.com
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.tarjabrasil.com
Novaë

Novaë

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 5:24 pm

love her spanish tongue
Back to top Go down
torispooky

torispooky

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:39 pm

adorable adorable interview.
Back to top Go down
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Back to top Go down
VivekaPandora

VivekaPandora

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Wow, THANK YOU for that translation! cheers Such a great interview!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/VivekaPandora
Eressa

Eressa

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 am

No prob and thanks a lot for the videos!!

Eh... have you guys read this that Foxsy translated at the OTF Neutral

-----------------------

In few words there is nothing new, she is reporting from Miloco studios and they are showing the mixing demos to press, (the same in Kerrang some time ago), she is talking about the producer, and why she become producer herself and other things that we already know.

Also she is talking about DPP, and said that she find some "Emptiness" in the new nightwish, not like something is missing, i mean like "nothing" or like "mind blank" she have no words to describe the felling.

At the end she is saying that Marcelo has support her to go into each song and teach her to work like this, thanks to that she dont find any obstacles any more in her working process.

-----------------------

what is this? Is Tarja getting cocky and overconfident? I remember she always said she didn't want to give any opinions about NW, Anette or DPP

Back to top Go down
Naiad
Mistress
Naiad

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 am

I don't think she's getting cocky and overconfident, I think she's expressing the way a LOT of us feel when listening to DPP.
Back to top Go down
https://anteroomofdeath.forumotion.com
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:12 am

I empathize with her thoughts, but I really hope this is not what she said. Apart from having admired the classy way she handled everything since the break up, I would not want her to start being more honest about any anti-new Nightwish opinions simply because it would attract a lot of hate from crazed Anette fangirls. Maybe I am paranoid, but mindless fans can do stupid things. No
Back to top Go down
Naiad
Mistress
Naiad

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:15 am

Well, consider that she also said that the music of Nightwish has always been amazing and DPP is not the exception. Not to mention she said she knows of and has heard only a few songs, not the whole album.

I really don't find anything wrong with her expressing what she feels, god knows she held it back for a long long time. I think it's just a truthful heartfelt answer.
Back to top Go down
https://anteroomofdeath.forumotion.com
Eressa

Eressa

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:43 am

Yes but she needs to be smart. She's been smart for a long time and this is not the best moment to start attracting haters. Afraid of Anette fans, oh noes, be afraid of Tuomas' fans.

I hope that what she meant is that she just can't relate to the music, which would be quite understandable.
Back to top Go down
Almagest
Protector of Tarja's Craziest Fangirls
Almagest

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks so much Eri! That was one cool interview.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with Tarja admitting that she doesn't get anything out of DPP, emotionally. Doesn't mean she thinks the album sucks, from (say) the compositional point of view, or anything, or that she's trying to take away from other people's enjoyment of it. Perhaps she has already listened to the whole album by now, who knows?
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/florianblaschke
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Eh, indeed. I am sure this is all she was saying. Smile ...*represses mother hen instincts and looks normal* What a Face
Back to top Go down
Manxita

Manxita

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, I just finished translating the radio interview (phew, that was long!)...so I'll post it here. In case any of you still don't have the audio, you can find it here:

http://www.tarjargentina.com/downloads/tarjaentrevista.mp3

I took what Eressa translated from the videos and then added all that wasn't in the videos Wink

Tarja at “Cual es?” with Mario Pergolini – Rock & Pop Radio 95.9 – Buenos Aires - Argentina
Translation by Eressa & Manxita

Interviewer: We are with the... (question about headphones) we wanna say that the door is full... FULL with fans. There's been a while since there's been so many fans at the doors.

Tarja: Are you serious? Really? (laughs)

I: We'd never lie to a woman.

Translator: Not even when Dave Mustaine came.

Interviewer: Megadeth came two months ago and there wasn't such quantity of people at the doors.

Tarja: That makes me happy!

Interviewer: ok let's go on. Could you present yourself exactly as your parents call you? how do you pronounce it?

Tarja: Tarja- Soile- Sussana- Turunen- Cabuli... No! that "Cabuli no! It wasn't there! Tarja Solie Sussana Turunen.

Interviewer: What a name! Daring at the least!

Tarja: Yes it's a long name

Interviewer: you'll hear her castilian is quite clear but we'll take advantage of both your good English (hers and translators) in many parts in the questions you don't understand.

Tarja: Or the things I can't explain, there are many of them.

Interviewer: My first question's got to do with something I've asking myself when I listened to you with your band or in your solo career, which is still with a band. I find it hard with your vocal formation that you have... it's hard for me, with the way you sing, if to define you as a real rock artist. Because it seems to me that may it be with an orchestra, a band, with huge distortions or with the most evil of human beings, you are lyrical always.

Tarja: yes, always.

I: So, how must I catalog you musically?

Tarja: No... no, I think that's impossible. I'm a singer and I love making classical music. I still make many classical concerts but I also make rock, I make metal and that's something different for me, but I've been doing this for many years, so, it's the only way that I can sing (part in English, translator translates).

I: Coming from the country you come from where metal tradition is different, it has a different tint where the heavy and death metal used there is so special... you think that the culture at school allow you (the Finns) to blend metal and death metal with culture?

(Tarja asks for translation. English answer. she says that metal is broadcasted all day on the radio and not only at nights. Also speaks of darkness and 6 months without light and that's why she is here - in Argentina-)

Translator explains that Metal is very popular, metal artists are in No 1 on sales ad earn Grammy like awards and it's almost the only place in the world where this happens.

Translator stutters something about how Metal is stereotypical about its looks and that one needs to "look metal" to feel you sing metal, but he points out that she isn't like that, not even on her videos.

Tarja: I. Don't. I don't. I am a woman who has a particular voice. I have to practice a lot because of my voice and take care of my figure.

I: Because of an artistic side or because of the way you sing?

Tarja: Both

I: Would it be a problem for your singing if you were obese?

Tarja: Yes, a lot. I practice every day and I do sports and exercises (English explanation about she not looking how people think she should look ad that she looks like she wants to look , and she loves to design her own clothes)

(min 6:21)

Tarja: And my music is not only Heavy Metal

I: Your music is not only heavy metal. Ok. Maybe we are “hotter”. You come from a very cold place, we are, in spite of the fact that we have our cold winters..
Tarja: Yes, I was thinking that!
I: We are latin, and latin people are very extremist in general, with sports, with national feeling, and that also happens to us with music. It is usual here to understand that, if a person listens to metal, it’s difficult to listen to any other genre. We are kind of educated that way. What do you think, when you go to other places which are not so open minded regarding your music, when you are playing metal and then there is a part where it becomes much more melodic? Do you notice if people change their attitude in places such as Latin America?
Tarja: (in English) No, my public, my audience is very different. And every country has their own kind of flavour. But my audience has a lot of metal heads, a lot of people that loves classical music, a lot of people that just loves music. So they already kind of know that what they can expect from me is not only heavy metal. (in Spanish) I have a career that is kind of strange…
I: Nooo, it’s not strange at all! (ironic) – laughs
Tarja: Yes, it’s strange.

(translation into Spanish of the English part)

Tarja: Open (referring to her audience).

(min 8:20 aprox)

I: when you left the band, how do you think people felt?

Tarja: Bad...

I: Bad huh?

Tarja: Bad, like me, very bad.

I: Did you think it was going to be like this?

Tarja: Yes, but... because...

I: I am not asking the 'why', just what you felt.

Tarja: Yes... bad. It hurt me a lot. (not sure of this)

I: It's very odd for one to understand what happens inside a family, a band, a couple...

Tarja: But it wasn't a family, be aware (laughs)

I: But well, it is like a family.

Tarja: Yes, people think it was like that.

I: And it wasn't like that?

Tarja: No, it was never like that.

I: And with lyrical music there are these kinds of heated up relationships?

Tarja: No... no.

I: It seems more (I don't understand)

Tarja: But there are not those kinds of close relationships but I have to say that now I'm way more happy with my art, working with people who respect me and I love to work with and that never happened to me (before) For love... it's incredible. It's like a dream and now I feel that I'm free. I'm not going to... I don't want to lose this feeling I have. (she sounded so moved in this part)

I: How do you think that taking all the decisions sets you free, because I guess that taking all the decisions also ties you down. In the musical part I can understand it but what other decisions have you been able to make?

Tarja: I live here. I live here in Argentina, Buenos Aires as my city and that gives me a lot of freedom. It's the truth, it's the truth! I can make my life, which I could not do in Finland for many years. Everybody knows me, almost everybody knows me. It's different being here. I can compose my songs!

I: It's weird because everybody dreams with being a rock star! (ramble about kids dreaming with it and singing naked in the bathroom) and you must have sung those songs from a lot of bands... and you made it!!

Tarja: Come on! It's nice! It's a freedom being creative, it's nice, but I'm a star on stage, not outside.

I: Not in life.

Translator: (translates "on stage" to Spanish)

I: (To tarja) You are wrong because you are not allowing him to translate for you ("awww" sound) You can work as a journalist if you want to make her a question (to translator).

Translator: What I find hard to understand, is talking about Argentinians' passion and the frialty of Scandinavians is that you can't go out to the street in Finland but you can do it here!

I: Of course, when there are so many people outside waiting for you.

Tarja: No, please, it's very different my life here. People in Finland don't come close to me, they just take photos and they are talking to themselves "oh there she is", and yeah here people get nuts and it happens and it's gone, the situation.

(Translator explains how here after a picture, the thing is over and in Finland the situations never gets resolved).

I: How do you manage your agenda? How much time do you have for the lyrical part and classical concerts and what is your priority (he asks about the different between classical and rock gigs)

Tarja: I have to plan my schedule ahead. I have to think what I'll do by next year. I have concerts for almost the end of the next year but those are rock concerts with my band and this new album, but I have classical concerts on December in Finland, and I'm going to sing in churches... *weird scratching sound* Yes!!

I: what? In a church?

Tarja: Yes! I'm not going to burn when I get in!

I: And you'll get dressed up all churchy like?

Tarja: I don't think I'll get burned at the door!

*Weird noises*

I: With all her evil Finnish friends.

Tarja: Yes, I'm strange!

I: Finnish people have been able to spread their culture to Hollywood and music, weird, no? That with this art they're invading the world

Tarja: Yes it's amazing but Finnish culture is very hermetic so people who compose music have their way to speak, like, men in Finland don't speak! They don't speak!

I: Your father is like that?

Tarja: Yes, he is!

I: Are your parents still alive?

Tarja: My father.

I: Your father. Not your mother. And are you in contact with him?

Tarja: Yes, yes. I have two brothers...

I: Skype?

Tarja: Yes! It's amazing he is using Skype! He is almost 70 and he is using Skype!

I: you are his only female child?

Tarja: Yes, the only woman.

I: How is a Finnish father with his only daughter? Is he overprotective?

Tarja: Uyy... I've lived alone for almost 15 years already *moving music*

I: I don't know what to tell you...

Tarja: No, I've lived alone for almost 15 years. It's a different culture.

I: You (Finns) are so cold!

Tarja: Yeah but-- No! It was because of my studies! I didn't have any possibilities in my 500 habitants town.

I: What's the name of the place where you lived?

I: what?

I: Savonlinna. Did I pronounce it alright?

Tarja: Yes. Everything alright.

(min 15:23)

I: What a language, huh?
Tarja: Yes, it’s difficult.
If you had to say “Hello, how are you all doing?”, how do you say that in your language?
Tarja: Terve!
(voice over says “halo!” or something similar…)
I: Sorry, that is german. (laughs). How do you say it?
Tarja: Terve, mitä kuuluu (that’s how it sounds to me, any finns are welcome to correct it!)
I: Terve mitä kuuluu
Tarja: Perfect!
I: It sounds very…native, the language (he’s refering to indian tribes from argentina).
Tarja: Mhm, Hungary, Hungary (she corrects her accent)
I: Yes, but it sounds very much like…
Tarja: (in English) Yes, it’s very original. (in Spanish) Very original. There are no words in common with…you can’t compare it to any other language.
I: Did you choose to sing in English because it’s a universal language for the kind of music that you make?
Tarja: Yes, I like it. But in classical music I have to sing in many languages. Spanish, Russian…
I: How many languages do you speak? Obviously English and Spanish…
Tarja: I speak 5 languages. Swedish, Finnish, German, Spanish but very poorly…what else…

(min 16:32)

I: How long did it take you to learn how to speak spanish?
Tarja: I live here permanently since about...2 years ago, but I'm not improving very much because we're not here that much
I: You married an argentinian man?
Tarja: Yes!
I: You are insane.
Tarja: No!
I: I'm just saying, having all kinds of possibilities...is that him? (I guess Marcelo was inside the studio)
Tarja: Yes, him.
I: He's not good looking!
Tarja: WHAT?!? HOW DO YOU SAY THAT?!?
I: No, really!
Tarja: COME ON!
I: Ups, she got mad.
Tarja: I'm leaving, I'm leaving!
I: No no, don't go! He might be a good guy, he might be kind, and nice, but good looking...he's not.
Tarja: Come on! (in english)
Translator: Must have a different idea of beauty.
I: Maybe finnish people see beauty in a different way.
Tarja: Like women in finland see things a little bit differently (laughs)
I: It must be really weird to live in a country where everyone has straight hair.
Tarja: Yes, like me.
I: Sure!
Tarja: But blond.
Ttranslator: But they all dye their hair...
Tarja: But I am blond also.
I: Of course!
Tarja: But...
I: Everybody wants to be darker!
Tarja: Yes, they want to be...
I: It's weird!
Tarja: Just like here, everybody wants to be blond!
Both: Yes! (laughs)

(min 17:32)

I: Do you listen to metal? Do you consume metal or little of it?
Tarja: Yes, I listen to it. When I need to have strength to do something. For energy to do things I listen to it. But really, I don’t have much time to listen to music. Right now I have to start composing my next album …
I: But you are just releasing an album, it’s not even out yet!
Tarja: Not even out yet, no, but on Monday it’s going to be released here in Argentina.
I: And you already start composing for the next one?
Tarja: Yes
I: But why, do you have a contract that demands you to do it?
Tarja: No no, it has nothing to do with that. It’s a cycle, I don’t have to stop. Right now I feel so good and happy and comfortable with what I’m doing, so I have to go on.
I: And how do you study here in Buenos Aires, do you have a local teacher? Via Skype?
Tarja: yes, I have a local teacher. Her name is Marta Blanca…Marta Blanco. Incredible woman. Very important to me.
I: And when you knocked on her door, and you said hello, did she know who you were? Had she heard your music before?
Tarja: The first time she didn’t know who I am, but now she does. Yes (laughs)
I: She went to a computer and said “Just a minute, please”
Tarja: No, no no! (laughs!)
I: You told her “Google my name and see what happens…google my name and we’ll see who’s a better singer, you or me!”
Tarja: Nooo, arg.

(min 19:00 aprox)

I: Did you have a middle class education? Do you come from a working family?

Tarja: A working family, yes.

I: Is there any special characteristic in your town? Are they fisher men? Marble workers? Miners? Farmers?

Tarja: Farmers, but my father is a carpenter. My mother was a secretary in the city.

I: How did you start your lyrical studies?

Tarja: Uy, when I was six years old...

I: Because of your parents or because of you?

Tarja: Because of me. I started with the piano, studying classical music. It was the only thing I could do [well], and it's the same thing nowadays.

I: You finished composing a record that comes out this Monday and you told me that you are already demanding from yourself to start working on your next album already that very same Monday. How can you find the variation or hue between albums?

Translator: Good questions, huh?

Tarja: Yes, good question. I have to think a bit... this album took me two years to do, to compose, to produce, to work in this album, and it will take me again more or less two years for the next album, because I am doing a lot of touring.

I: One of our mates who works here is also a musician and wants to ask you a question.

Tarja: Hi!

I: Don't smile to him, I know what I'm telling you, even if your husband is here.

work mate: Your husband is very nice, know it.

Tarja: (Laughs)

Work mate: with the theme of starting to work on a new album and take it as a work cycle, what kind of role does inspiration play? Can it be forced? Or only using professionalism?

Tarja: (She talks about the title "what lies beneath" and how it inspired her -in English)

I: Do you write literature?

Tarja: Yes, not alone. My husband, for example, is very talented.

I: Does he have anything to do with the lyrics? Is he a person who inspires you?

I: Life is crazy, huh? Someone is born in Finland and she meets an Argentinian! You must have talked this over once and again.

Tarja: Ay God, yes! *romantic song starts*

I: and you are at a point of a sacrifice, you had to come here, see if it works or not, and you realize that all of what you thought you were going to be when you were a child didn't turn out that way! You were going to be a classical piano player... a singer with classical education and you ended up working with these guys who seem that they could eat (I don't understand word). And you are closer to being a vampire, living in Buenos Aires because of love! You never thought your life was going to turn out this way!

Tarja: Yes it's amazing. my life has been crazy these past 15 years... pppfft! Things have happened to me that I didn't expect and I can't explain, it's madness! But everything is alright! I wouldn't change anything. Really!

I: Is it a good moment?

Tarja: It is a very good moment!

I: Is it a good album, your new release?

Tarja: The best.

I: I'll be honest. I find it hard... this musical jump that I am listening. when one is used to listen to one album with a style...

Tarja: That's not my style.

I: I call it 'style' just because of it, I mean uniformity. You album doesn't have a certain uniformity. A listener must have a compromise to listen to your albums.

Tarja: Yes, but this freedom I have today... I don't have to compose only heavy metal or rock or classical tracks. My mind is free! My soul is free! I'm an artist! I'm enjoying my life! I'm enjoying my music! I hadn't been able to compose music before, now I do. It's great!

Workmate: By the way you speak about how free you feel in your mind and soul, it sounds like if you had escaped from a concentration camp! Was it really so oppressive and suffocating to be there? (Nw)

Tarja: It's like a world of difference. Truth is that I feel there is a whole different world in how I feel today.

(26:14)

(Translation into Spanish)

I: I don’t find you well, Olmedo, I notice that you feel excluded. We didn’t want to make you live this, do you feel left out? Do you want us to ask you something in English?
Translator: In English, alright.
I: So, I want to put myself in Finland a little, how long is the winter there?
Tarja: Ahmmm…
I: Four ugly months, like that?
Tarja: Yes
I: Four nights?
Tarja: Five ugly months.
I: How many of those are dark?
Tarja: From December till beginning of January. Very dark. In the north. In Helskini, the capital, light about 4 hours a day.
I: Perfect. But it’s usually dark.
Tarja: yes.
Eduardo (co-worker): Did she see the movie “30 days of night”?
Tarja: I haven’t seen it…no no, I haven’t seen it.
Eduardo: Ok…vampire movie.
Tarja Oh, no.
I: Do you watch vampire movies?
Tarja: No..me? what vampires? (laughs)
I: Not anymore, it’s like seeing your neighbours. Do they make vampire jokes in finland?
Tarja: No, not really.
I: I wonder, when you’re small children, are you allowed to go out at night when it’s 2 pm in the afternoon? Or is it impossible because it’s too cold and nobody leaves the house?
Tarja: No, you’re never really cold if you have the proper clothing, you will never be cold because it’s very dry.
I: But anyway, how cold is it? -20ºC?
Tarja: Not like here, where it’s very humid.
I: But how cold does it get?
Tarja: -30ºC sometimes, it’s normal
I: -30ºC???
Tarja: -40ºC even.
I: Do they ever have to stop classes at school ?
Tarja: yes, they suspend lessons if there is -40ºC
I: That’s good. Is there a kindergarten also? Do they move babies with -40ºC? It’s too cold! Let’s start from the beginning, how many people live in Finland?
Tarja: 5 million?
I: 5 million people with the flu!
Tarja: Noooo
I: no
Tarja: We are very used to putting children outside to sleep during the winter. They sleep very well…like me!
(sound of baby, crying)
I: Poor kids! (talking to the crying baby)…take it easy, we will bring you inside soon! He should become a man, damnit! He’s soft, he’s really soft. Don’t let him in! Now he’s going to be a softie. He will be gay just because you let him in.
Tarja: Nooo (laughs)
I: yeah, he’s gay. But wait, do they really put…?
Tarja: Yes, we put kids outside!
I: Did you sleep outside?
Tarja: yes, a lot.
I: Do people go camping in Finland?
Tarja: Oh…
I: But you also have the sauna culture. It’s very common to have one at home…
Tarja: Yes, all houses have a sauna.
I: Bigger, or smaller…
Tarja: Apartments too.
I: Are there any deluxe saunas? Different kinds of saunas?
Tarja: No, they are very traditional. You heat it up with wood, and electricity.
I: And do you use sauna here in Argentina?
Tarja: Yes, I have one, I have my own sauna! In my apartment! For two very small asses…(laughs)
I: All naked inside the sauna…
Tarja: Everybody.
I: I mean families…
Tarja: (in English) Of course! Hey, I need to tell you, my husband came for the first time to the sauna with the shorts, and I was like: “What are you doing??? That is not the way!!!”

(translation into Spanish)

I: And do they also take small children to the sauna?
Tarja: Yes, yes, of course. We love it. It’s a culture…
I: And how many degrees in the sauna?
Tarja: It’s to cleanse not only your skin, but also your feelings, all kinds of things. It’s really very good.
I: Are you a believer?
Translator: Do you believe in God or something like that?
Tarja: I have my faith. But not on the church, not so much, I don’t feel it so much.
I: And when you sing in churches, how do you feel? Do you feel it as a spiritual place? Or a place with good acoustics?
Tarja: No, it’s always very nice to sing in churches, it’s very…(in English) very spiritual, kind of experience, yes.

I: To understand a little better, Americans, in the US, where the mass consumption of music is more related to “fashion”, to what’s happening at the moment…I believe that Americans were about to enter the wave of music like the one you did with the band, the one you’re doing on your own, but they always take it to a different place, they make it more “adult” than young...does it bother you that you can’t enter directly, sort of like a big movement, in the United States?
Tarja: It’s very difficult. Music from Europe never…(in English), they never make it big time in USA. It’s very difficult. (in Spanish). It’s such a hard territory to handle. The distances are very long, if you’re going to play for 500 people you’re not going to explode and sell millions of records in the USA. No, it’s very difficult.
I: How is your life from now on? On Monday you release your album, do you start travelling all over the world?
Tarja: I’m going to Russia, the next…yes I have to go to Russia…
I: September, Russia, nice!
Tarja: No no no
I: Be prepared for some heat!
Tarja: No no, it’s like here, 20ºC or something…
I: How do you feel here, on days like this? Did you like our Winter? It must be nothing for you…
Tarja: No, it’s ok…
I: wearing T-shirts!
Tarja: (whispering) San Lorenzo t-shirt!
I: You support San Lorenzo?
Tarja: (laughs)
(Booing sounds in the background)
I: He supports San Lorenzo, right? (talking about Marcelo)
Tarja: (clears her throat)…It comes with the matrimony…
I: It comes with the matrimony, of course…you made her a San Lorenzo fan? You are so unfair! With the love that they have here for…
(voices chanting “son of a b**! Son of a b**!”)
I: with the love that people here have for you…my God, they beat us, I support Boca Juniors, you beat us last Sunday…
Tarja: Yes, I saw it.
I: It was horrible.
Tarja: (sighs).
I: Em…yes, quicky now, where in the world are you going? (trying to change the subject fast)
Tarja: (laughs) Yes, to Russia
I: Now you go to Russia, to present this new album?
Tarja: No, it’s a concert for the president and Putin, the prime minister.
(voices wowing)
I: You should go there, sing, get paid and leave fast.
Tarja: Nooo, I’m going to sing…
I: That’s very nice.
Tarja: And then I begin touring…
I: Where are you going to sing, do you know the venue?
Tarja: Sochi, it’s called.
I: Sochi. And are you doing a full set? Are you going with your band?
Tarja: My band, I have musicians from here (Argentina), and the drummer and cellist will be joining us there.
I: And do you practice here with part of the band and the rest join you when you get there?
I: Is it comfortable?
Tarja: Yes, it is.
I: You can do it.
Tarja: Yes, they are all professionals.
I: And do you rehearse with the band very often?
Tarja: Yes, I have my tours, that will begin in October.
I: They surely can’t believe it…tell me, the band that you have here in Buenos Aires, how is it conformed?
Tarja: Guitar, bass and keyboards.
I: And you use recordings for the drums and everything else…
Tarja: We made arrangements…computer…
I: So over that recording…ok. And they can’t believe it! That they will be playing in front of Putin 2 kids who were born in Valentín Alsina! (it’s a not so rich neighbourhood near Buenos Aires)
Tarja: (laughs)
I: I can imagine both argentines whispering “That is Putin!” “Yeah, and that one?” “That one is Yelsin” “And that other one?” “The head of the Russian mob!” (sings rock music).
Tarja: Pure Rock! Pure rock we’ll be playing…
I: How old are your musicians?
Tarja: My own age.
I: They will not be able to believe it! Do you know what neighbourhood they are from? Where they were born?
Tarja: No I don’t know. I’m sorry.
I: No no, it’s something very personal. Well, Tarja, thank you so much for coming, it was really nice to meet you, I wish you the best with your album and here are my final questions before saying goodbye. Releasing an album today is not the same as releasing an album 3 years ago. The record companies used to know that they were going to get their money’s worth regarding their investment on marketing or whatever they need to provide for you. Now it’s not so much like that anymore. Because now it’s so easy to get the album, because of piracy, for whatever reasons. How do you navigate this world nowadays? Because, I insist, you eat if you sell albums and play concerts. If you don’t you won’t eat, no matter how nice and good you are.
Tarja: We, as artists, have to find new ways to make the art that we do. (in English) We need to find, really, other ways to show our art. And internet is a really important tool, with the good and bad, but concerts are the most important thing, I think. Because…(in Spanish), records are not going to be sold anymore, in 4 years they won’t exist anymore, I think. It’s difficult.

I: Do you think that those mega bands are going to disappear? The possibility to generate mega bands, because with little press, and everybody promoting themselves over the internet, very few will survive to the massive, massive.
Tarja: (in English) The business is more about making a hit, hit song. My music, for example, is not about that. It’s about making an art, Cd, I make so much effort, so much love and passion through the whole album, it’s very sad that the whole business is going just…hit singles, hit singles.

I: Your argentinian friends, how are they? Are they musicians, people who live near you?
Tarja: Yes…
I: Did you borrow friends from your husband?
Tarja: Yes, from my husband also.
I: Are you happy? Can you say that you’re in a happy place?
Tarja: Yes, I’m at a very, very good place.
I: Are you sure that London or New York aren’t better?
Tarja: Yes, I’m sure.
I: I had to ask, I really wanted to ask you that.
Tarja: No, no, Buenos Aires is my home.
I: Rio isn’t in a bad moment right now…
Tarja: Yes, uff, difficult.
I: And you don’t find this a difficult city?
Tarja: No.
I: No. It’s strange. The way one sees his own city is not the same as someone who falls in love with the city.
Tarja: It’s…different.
I: So we can say that you’re in love with the city.
Tarja: As I see my country, Finland, through my eyes, it’s different than the way you all can see it…
I: If I ever go to Finland, where should I go? If you go to Finland, you should go to this or that place…
Tarja: The North…to see Santa Claus.
I: Ohhhh…you seen him? Is there a real place?
Tarja: Yes, he lives there. Yes, but really, I’m telling you!
I: Of course, you’re such a liar!
Tarja: Nooooo!
I: Have you seen him? The truth!
I: You saw Santa Claus. You went to his house at the north pole where he is…
Tarja: Yes…and his wife.
I: You’re lying….Does Santa Claus have sex? No!
Tarja: What?
I: If he has a wife, he must have sex.
Tarja: No, please! I’m not going to think about that!
I: She knows Santa Claus! And what is he like? Is he fat? With a beard?
Tarja: Yesss, very big long beard.
I: If I go to Finland and speak with your father, what would he say to me? I want her to come back, it’s so good that she’s gone, I’m so glad that she’s doing great? How does a carpenter in finland deal with the fact that his daughter is so far away?....I’m not breaking your heart, am I?
Tarja (in English): No, he’s always complaining “when are you coming to meet me?”. Always complaining.

Tarja: It’s a strange feeling. It’s sad.
I: well, but from Russia to Finland it’s very close! Are you going?
Tarja: No.
I: No. Do you know that here we have a lot of psychologists? Psychology is a very big thing here…
Tarja: Yes, and us with Finland, we have a very “black” history with Russia. We had wars…very bad.
I: Bad. But how do Russians welcome finnish people nowadays?
Tarja: Fine. They are very kind. They are much more open than finnish people. They want to give you everything, even if they have nothing…(in English) even if they don’t have anything they wanna give you all.

(translation into Spanish).

I: Tarja, thank you very much, it was a real pleasure talking with you. And I’ll remark from our chat, something that you said at some point, that I found very interesting. That it doesn’t matter how much you sell or if someone understands your album or if you play metal or classical. That what you do is art. It’s the art that you want to make and some people might like it and some people might not. But the important thing is that you defend your art, that while you do that you’ll be happy. If you make money and are very famous, the better. Even though you have refused to live in a country where you are worshipped as a famous person. You should go to the psychologist to talk about that…
Tarja: (laughs). Very well, thank you.
Eduardo: And one more thing, that San Lorenzo never won a Libertadores cup (soccer cup played amongst the Latin American champions).
Tarja: Noooooo
Eduardo: Not that I know of.
I: We’re going to listen to her with “Still of the night”, the Whitesnake cover. You enjoy doing covers, don’t you?
Tarja: Yes! Oh, I love to do them. The one you’re going to hear is a bit more heavy, and it has an incredible orchestra and choir.
I: And do you think that Coverdale has heard it?
I: has he heard your version?
Tarja: No…
I: Let’s send it to him!
Tarja: Original? Yes, many times!
I: I’m not explaining myself properly here…
Translator: Do you think that Dave Coverdale listened to your version?
Tarja: No, I don’t think so. It’s too new.
I: But you should send it to him!
Tarja: I will be playing with Alice Cooper. I will be on tour with Alice Cooper on November.
I: In the US?
Tarja: In Germany. There are 9 dates.
Translator: She had recorded a song by Alice Cooper also.
I: And do you go as a guest of his concert or are you a separate set?
Tarja: As a guest.
I: Nine concerts in Germany…nice! And you’re still not going to Finland.
Tarja: Yes! At the end of the year!
I: At the end of the year…does he have all his papers in order? Can he go? (talking about Marcelo)
Tarja: Yes, yes.
I: You don’t need vaccines or anything. Ad the end of the year it’s very cold!
Tarja: Yes, but…it’s all good.
I: Only -20ºC or -30ºC, nothing serious. “Still of the night”, this is Tarja’s version. I haven’t heard it yet. Thank you so much for coming.
Tarja: Thank you.
I: Very nice of you.

Last edited by Manxita on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Wow! Shocked
You had a hard work!!! Shocked
Thank you very much!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Awwh, thank you to both of you guys, this was such a great and funny interview. The part with Santa Claus really had me giggling. Laughing Tarja is like "YEAH OF COURSE HE IS REAL!!!! affraid"
Back to top Go down
icare4u

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks for the translation...and "how are you" in Finnish is "mitä kuuluu". xD
Back to top Go down
Manxita

Manxita

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 pm

icare4u wrote:
Thanks for the translation...and "how are you" in Finnish is "mitä kuuluu". xD

Thanks, I'll edit that now xD (my finnish is non existant Razz)
Back to top Go down
Almagest
Protector of Tarja's Craziest Fangirls
Almagest

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 8:24 pm

OMG, what a monster of an interview! That must have been sooooo much work! xD But it's hilarious! LOL!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/florianblaschke
Obscured

Obscured

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:27 pm

so here is the making of what lies beneath (1 hour video Shocked )

http://music.aol.com/video/what-lies-beneath-making-of/tarja-turunen/bc:605825755001

i will later put the download links (video is 561 mb of size D:)
Back to top Go down
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 pm

^Really?
Mine is 173mb!

I want yours, quality probably is better! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Obscured

Obscured

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Myla wrote:
^Really?
Mine is 173mb!

I want yours, quality probably is better! Twisted Evil

but of course it is Cool ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Myla
Little Phoenix
Myla

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 pm

*stolens* bounce

EDIT: Downloading Mr. Green lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)   Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tarja Media (Interviews, articles, internet, videos, etc)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next